Large-scale development projects in Russia – demand for forestry and woodworking solutions
Currently, over 100 projects, with an expected total investment of about $6 billion and capacity to process over 80 million m³ of raw material, are being developed in Russia.
The forestry and woodworking industry is an important sector for the Russian economy. The country has 82 billion cubic meters of forest, representing 25% of the world’s timber stock. Over 60,000 private companies, employing about 1 million people, specialize in harvesting and production of value-added products. In 2015, investments in Russia’s forestry and woodworking industry increased by 32% to about $1.52 billion. It could be said that Russia is one of the best markets for forestry and woodworking machinery manufacturers.
Forestry sector strategy sets goals
A special program, Forestry sector strategy of the Russian Federation until 2030, was developed at the end of 2016 by the request of Ministry for Industry and Trade in Russia. The program includes several activities such as development of domestic demand and exports, large scale technological upgrading and investments to production development.
According to the Ministry for Industry and Trade, 121 priority investment projects within forestry and woodworking sector are being developed. Russian producers, especially large holding companies, are constantly looking for modern and energy-saving equipment and solutions.
Offering with good market potential include:
- Harvesting solutions
- Logging technologies, storage and logistics
- Machinery and equipment for the production and drying of sawn timber
- Measuring and optimization systems for round wood yards and sawmills
- Woodworking equipment, plant and accessories for the production of wood-based materials
- Machinery and plant for the production and maintenance of machines
- Firewood processing equipment
- Waste wood utilization and regeneration
- Ecological forest management
Competitive advantage of Finns
Finland and Russia have a long history of cooperation: Finland enjoys a good reputation in Russia and has achieved a strong position on the Russian forestry and woodworking market. In addition, the availability of Russian speaking staff in Finland and short distances brings competitive advantage to Finns.
Meet the main market players in Ekaterinburg in September!
Finnish Russian Chamber of Commerce (FRCC) and Finpro’s Agrotechnology from Finland program are arranging specialized events and delegation visits to Russia to connect Finnish companies with the main Russian market players and regional authorities.
The first business event will take place in Ekaterinburg September 19-22, 2017. The program includes:
- Visiting LESPROM-URAL Professional exhibition.
- B2B meetings with private companies/holding companies, contacts with key industry people.
- Meetings with regional authorities responsible for forestry and woodworking projects.
- Meetings with local agri/forestry machinery dealers/importers.
Interested in this opportunity?
Finnish-Russian Chamber of commerce – FRCC
+7 343 310 17 88
Program Director, Agrotechnology from Finland
+358 40 343 3349