Russian market of wooden houses construction is expected to boom in the nearest future
Russia has 25% of all forests of the world’s forest resources. At the same time, the use of wood materials in housing construction in Russia is only 0.003 m³ / m², which is 17 times less than in Finland, USA and Canada. Currently, the annual volume of wooden housing construction in Russia is about 11 million m2, including 3.7 million m2 prefabricated houses. Russian Agricultural Bank, one of the biggest banks in Russia, has announced in 2021, that by 2025 the share of wooden houses in housing construction will increase by 1.5-2 times, due to the discussed extension of mortgage programs for wooden houses, as well as stimulating the development of individual housing construction.
Companies and sectors benefiting from this opportunity:
- Producers of wooden houses
- Producers of wooden elements for housing construction (panels, windows, doors)
- Developers of IT solutions used in designing, engineering of wooden houses, etc.
Solutions or products needed:
- Wooden houses and similar products (grill houses, saunas, pavilions, etc.)
- Construction elements, needed at wooden houses construction projects
- (wall elements, doors, windows, etc.)
- Projects and master plans of wooden houses
- IT solutions for designing, engineering, etc. (any other IT solutions or know-hows that improve efficiency in wooden houses projects)
Team Finland activities available for Finnish companies:
mob\whatsapp: +7 (931) 989 05 00
- Joined participation of Finnish companies from wooden houses sector at Finnish Business 2021, the biggest annual business event of Finnish companies in Russia, This year Finnish Business Forum will be 2.12.2021 at St. Petersburg.
- We plan to arrange online conference with participation of companies from Nordic Countries and Russian partners devoting to use of wood in construction (Nordic know-how and Russian realities).
- Each Finnish company, interested in this Business Opportunity, individual free consultation about Russian market will be provided.
In November 2020, President Vladimir Putin instructed the government to develop measures for the development of wooden industrial housing construction in Russia, these measures should be developed till 10 December 2021. Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Russian Federation: by 2025 the state will allocate 24.3 billion rubles for the development of wooden housing construction.
Russia has high potential in wooden housing construction. The share of wooden houses in low rise building (mostly it is individual houses) is 45%, compare to 80% in Finland, Canada and USA
Recent changes in legislation
- Since 2015 the Russian Ministry of Construction, Housing and Utilities updating legislation regarding wooden housing construction. In 2019 new construction rules was introduced, that increases possible height of the wooden houses from 3 to 28 meters (around 10 floors).
Latest news from the market
- In 2020 R&D of CLT panels (Cross-Laminated Timber) was in a focus of several big companies and state authorities.
- In February 2021 the first in Russia CLT panels plant was opened in Sokol town, by Segezha Group. These panels are uses in wooden multi-storey buildings construction. Production capacity is 50.000 m3 per year. Currently all production is exporting to Europe.
- In March 2021 it has been announced, that the first in Russia multi-storey building using CLT panels (Cross-Laminated Timber) will be build in Cherepovets.
- In 2021 Segezha Group together with the developer Etalon Group are planning to start construction of a multi-storey building made of CLT (cross laminated timber) panels in Moscow in the summer of 2021.